1929

The name of the hotel originated in the Middle Ages when the knights of St. John visited the bathhouse. The adjoining guesthouse developed over the years to become the current Hotel.

In this year, Eugen Maier from Rötenbach and his wife Maria from Göschweiler acquired the Johanniterbad and the annexe. Eugen discovered his love for cooking during numerous trips abroad and proved his worth not only as waiter but also as hotel director in renowned establishments in England, Belgium and Switzerland.

1931

When Eugen Maier acquired the Johanniterbad, two storeys in the lower part of the annexe were equipped as a public bathhouse offering both medical and cleaning baths as few people had a bath in their home as this time.

1948

At the beginning of the Second World War, Ernst chose the same career as his father, however he was drafted for military service in 1942. During the French occupation in 1948 the annexe was destroyed by fire leaving only the foundation walls intact. At this point of time, the family had still received no news from their son who was imprisoned in Russia.

1949

At the end of 1949 Ernst Maier returned from captivity and devoted himself to the management of the hotel and restoring the annexe. He was actively supported by his parents and his sister Erika.

1954

Ernst Maier married Irmgard Gaus from Empfingen the daughter of a landlord. Eugen Maier died shortly after experiencing this joyful event. In the same year, Irmgard gave birth to their son, who was also named Eugen.

 

The family grew and the hotel expanded – the second storey of the annexe was completed in 1954. The Hotel Johanniterbad also profited from the economic miracle at the beginning of the fifties. The terrace was partially roofed and the restaurant extended to seat 60 guests. In 1956 the baths were closed and in the same year their daughter Susan was born.

 

The excellent reputation of the hotel spread and the legacy of satisfied guests increased. Many prominent guests from politics, show business and industry sought accommodation at the Hotel Johanniterbad.

1960

The family proudly announced the birth of their second son Elmar. Two years later the shared bathrooms in the annexe were replaced by modern ensuite bathrooms with shower.

1969

Isabel, the second daughter was born in 1966. In order to bring the hotel up to modern standards the family decided in 1969 to demolish the main building leaving just the ground floor for building on. In the same year their second son Tobias was born.

1971

At the beginning of the 70s the economic situation of the hotel was extremely tense. The new building opened in 1971 became an enormous financial burden. Despite these difficulties however, the Maier family remained optimistic and converted the restaurant in 1978/79.

1979

For connoisseurs of refined cuisine, the name is a synonym for quality. In 1979 – 1982 today`s gourmet chef Johannes King learnt his trade from Irmgard Maier, so that one could say that our culinary skills can be traced back to the island of Sylt where he gained his second Michelin star at the Söl’ring Hof in 2006. This relationship still exists today on the basis of a lively exchange of culinary know-how.

1983

The senior partner Maria Maier died in 1983 and no longer experienced the fulfilment of Ernst’s lifetime ambition – namely to offer a suite with its own whirlpool. The hotel entrance was also fully converted.

1994

The entire hotel was refurbished in the nineties. After successfully passing his examination as Chef de Cuisine Tobias Maier took over from his mother Irmgard as chef. Ernst’s sister Erika Maier died in 1999.

2001

In the new Millennium Tobias, the son of Ernst and Irmgard Maier and his wife Sabine with their children Johanna and Katharina took over the management of the hotel. Tobias`s sister Susanne and her husband Heiko Mäule supported the young family who also benefited from the many years of experience of the mother Irmgard. Ernst Maier died in 2003.

2009

The Maier family started with the third and final part of the refurbishment of the basement of  the annexe in 2009. At the same time the second combined heat and power plant was installed. The installation of an elevator and the complete refurbishment of all the rooms in the main building marked the completion of the conversion and renovations so that in 2014 the rooms and the restaurant provided a modern and feel-good ambience for all guests.